16 January 2008

Nicolas


Nicolas, originally uploaded by xena2542.

At my Mom's for Thanksgiving, I was bothering her cats for a while.... And yes he was looking a bit annoyed that I scared off his prey when I was taking his photo!

A bit of background - Nicolas showed up at my Mom's house last year around Christmas time. Even though it's kind of trite, I suggested she name him Nicolas for old St. Nick. He's a really friendly cool cat, but he's rather a bully to her other kitties. Because she lives in a really rural area, most of her kitties get to go out during the day and she rounds them all up again each night to keep them safe.

People dump off their cats at the farm that's the next property through the woods from my Mom's house. Over the 20 years or so that she has lived there, she has either personally adopted or helped (with the assistance of her vet) find homes for at least 30 cats. None of these cats could possibly be considered feral and were clearly someones pets at one time. I'm am always amazed at how callous people are with their pets.

Sorry - climbing down off the soapbox now!!

No comments: